Today was my first day of the challenge where I've committed to spending at least 30 minutes every day on LinkedIn helping others. My first realization is that I probably spend at least 30 minutes a day on LinkedIn throughout the day already but I never had specific tasks I wanted to accomplish.
Here's what I commited to doing every day on LinkedIn for 30 days:
- Post at least two status updates with useful information that will help my network
- Like, Share or Comment on at least two status updates posted by my network
- Ask or answer at least two group questions
- Give at least two endorsements
- Give at least two recommendations
- Add at least two people to my network
On Day 1 I accomplished all of these tasks except the two recommendations. I realize now that it takes time to create thoughtful recommendations so I'm going to commit to doing at least 3 per week. If I can do one each day I will but I want to stay within my 30 minute timeframe.
- Post at least two status updates with useful information that will help my network – I posted 4 status updates
- Like, Share or Comment on at least two status updates posted by my network – I Liked 2 posts, shared 2 posts and commented on 1 posts.
- Ask or answer at least two group questions – I commented on 4 discussions in 3 group conversations
- Give at least two endorsements – I gave endorsements to 4 people
- Give at least two recommendations – I gave one recommendation
- Add at least two people to my network – I invited 10 people to join my network.
All of this took about 45 minutes but I could easily have done it in 30 minutes if I didn't do it while checking email and reading the Wall Street Journal in between LinkedIn activities.
Tomorrow I'm going to set a timer for 30 minutes and close all other windows on my computer.
How was your first day of the challenge? Let me know in the Comments section.