Twitter is a great marketing channel for promoting your business, when approached thoughtfully and implemented with a purposeful strategy.
Businesses can effectively use Twitter for inbound and outbound marketing with the tips I have listed below.
Promote your brand by optimizing your Twitter profile. Be sure to:
- Use your logo as your profile picture
- Use your Brand name as your Twitter handle and your Twitter username
- Use your brand name in your Twitter bio and add a link to a white paper in your bio
- Add your website URL to your profile
- Use your brand name as your hashtag and include it in all Tweets
Generate leads by offering white papers, instructional videos, e-books and product samples if appropriate. Write a compelling Tweet with a link to the lead gen asset.
Always send visitors to a separate landing page with an opt-in form for each asset you Tweeted about.
- After visitors opt in to receive the asset, follow up with a series of emails that introduce them to your products and to additional white papers, videos, and eBooks.
- Track your results so you know which assets are most popular and which Tweets generate the best response. Tweets are like subject lines in your emails, so track your Tweets in a spreadsheet so you know which work best.
Promote webinars, conferences, training classes and other events sponsored by your company.
Write Tweets that promote the events and include a link to a landing page where they can sign up for the events. Again, use a separate landing page for each event and track your results.
Promote your brand using Twitter advertising.
We will get into Twitter advertising in a later post, but for now be aware that paid advertising is another option to consider.
Display the Twitter logo prominently on your website and encourage people to Follow you on Twitter.
Also add links to your Twitter page in your email footer, on your blogs, and in your email newsletters. Constantly ask people to Follow you in all of your marketing materials.
If appropriate, you can offer discount codes in your Tweets.
Remember, the key to success when using Twitter for marketing is to carefully plan your Twitter marketing campaigns and measure your results, so you can replicate the campaigns that work.